Monday, October 03, 2011

Lemon butter cake

3.9.2011 Saturday

Actually, I did plan to carry out 2 baking projects in one day, afternoon section for muffin and followed by butter cake at night. The original recipe was obtained from Sonia, with some modification as explained or marked by red *.


Recipe: Lemon butter cake

Ingredients:
125g butter
100g sugar (I use brown sugar)
1 lemon*1, grate the rind
2 large eggs (I wasn’t sure if the eggs were big enough)
175g self-raising flour (The one I used was Blue key self raising flour)
4 tablespoons of milk


 Lemon glaze:
3 tablespoons of sugar (I used brown sugar as well)
1 lemon, extract the juice
1 lemon*2, grate the rind (I skipped this step)


Steps:
1. Add butter and sugar. Beat until fluffy.
2. Add the egg one by one, beat.
3. Add the lemon rind and beat.
4. Add flour, followed by milk, then beat
5. Transfer the mixture into a 7-inch cake pan. (Loaf tin was used in original recipe)
6. Bake at pre-heated oven at 180C for 30*3 minutes. (I set both top and bottom heating)
7. Mix sugar and lemon juice, set aside. (I did not heat the mixture)
8. When the cake is ready, prick over the surface with a fork.
9. Pour the lemon glaze onto the cake.
10. Leave the cake overnight.


I could not wait until the next morning, so I tasted a little bit of the cake. It was extremely sour…Huhuhu, can I cry? Can I throw it away? After all, I still kept it until the next morning. It turned out just nice after a night, tasted sour and fresh, except that the cake was a little bit “fragile”. Now I know already, time is needed for lemon glaze to work well with cake in order to give nice taste. Improvement is still needed. Stephanie’s suggestion was to put the cake in the fridge because she suspected the “fragile” was due to too much liquid.

My legs were in great pain, but no pain no gain right. Hehe. Cheers to everyone who supported and helped me. Thanks to You Ping who was willing to stay with me to bake this lemon cake as well. This is my second baking production, lemon butter cake, I love it.

*1 After obtaining the rind from this lemon, the juice was used in lemon glaze.
*2 This is another lemon. I did not want to use 2 lemons, so I skipped this step.
*3 In original recipe of Sonia, 40 minutes was suggested, but the type of heating was not stated. Both top and bottom heating were set, therefore my plan was to observe the cake at 30th minute first. After 30minutes, I used a fork (stick, toothpick or anything that is suitable) to poke the cake. The fork came out clean. Hence it was ready. If the fork comes out wet and sticky, more baking time is needed.


Can you see the lemon flesh?



2 comments:

Syura said...

It looks delicious chia ying! U r so rajin baking and everything...

Jia Ying said...

Thanks Syura :-) Er, feel shy ya, coz not as rajin as you thought. Actually I need to improve my baking skill. Do take care, my friend.

Post a Comment

Ying loves life Copyright © 2009
Scrapbook Mania theme designed by Simply WP and Free Bingo
Converted by Ipietoon Template